We do not hate you <3. We will NEVER EVER hate you; but we need to talk for a second. A few people need to realize, that a punishment is a punishment, and we the staff, do not take them lightly.
A punishment is never meant to bully you. We do not ban for fun or to annoy you. Every single ban is reviewed by the staff team to make sure it isn’t too harsh, or too light (and if it is, we fix it as soon as we can!) Often, bans are agreed upon privately through staff channels to make sure that we all agree on what to do with the player, whether it’s a mute, a kick, or a ban (and if it’s a ban, how long it should be.)
I would also like it to be known, than it is not up to the person to ban someone, to lift their ban. If it was me who permbanned them, it’s not up to me to unban them. That’s handled by ALL the admins. Not just Thoatt, not just Anna, not just Luke or Kealper or Camel. They ALL talk with one another to make sure they all agree on what to do. The staff team is, well, just that — a TEAM. We HAVE to work together to make sure things get done properly, so there’s no use singling out a single staff person begging to come back.
I’ve been seeing a lot of people, treating tempbans one of two ways lately. On the one hand, people don’t take them seriously, and think of them as a glorified kick. “Oh, I’m off the server for 3 days. Oh well, time to play another game while I wait!” OR it’s the complete opposite, and people beg and PLEAD to come back, as if they won’t return in 3 days.
Guys… we have a reason for our punishments. We don’t hand them out just to shut you up, or pick on you, or to prove that we can. We do it, so you guys will learn something from it.
Never, in the history of ever, do we EVER ban someone without giving them plenty of warnings. Often, you’ll see us take players into a “let’s_talk” channel to discuss things with them. We ask them why they did it, and if they are willing to fix the problem and apologize. If they don’t want to, or don’t respond and ignore us, then we’re forced to punish them. Of course, we don’t always use the channel. Sometimes we talk to someone in a private /msg, or over mumble, or in regular ol’ chat. Either way, it ends up one of five ways:
- The person apologizes and fixes the problem immediately, and is free to go. (Usually a player has PVP’d with someone who did not want to PVP but had their /PVP left on, or a block or two has been broken somewhere that needs to be repaired. Instead of banning them outright, we talk to them. The player apologizes, fixes the problem, and decides to do their best to never let it happen again.)
- Temp Mute (Temporarily Muted). This is reserved for players who like to argue, spam, or beg. The player can still type, but no one but the staff will see it. They will get a message on their screen saying they are muted, and unable to speak. Staff use this command to silence someone so that they can restore peace to an argument, or to stop someone from begging, when they have already been asked to stop multiple times before
- A Kick. This kicks you off the server for 1 second, with a reason for the kick on your screen. For example: “You have been kicked for: No spamming”. After you’ve read the message, you can rejoin immediately — hopefully ready to solve the problem and apologize. This is a more harsh punishment, and should NOT be taken lightly. If you are kicked, consider it a strike. Too many kicks will lead to a ban.
- Tempban (Temporary Ban). This is a ban that lasts only a few days. Tempbans can be between 1 day, to a month (or even longer), depending on how bad the offense was. There’s good news though. A tempban means we WANT to see you come back. We want to see you apologize for what you did, and to realize that what you did was wrong. Tempban time can be lowered with a good plea, but if the offense was a bad one, it might be better to stick out your time, and truly think about what you did. You’re basically being grounded from the server, to make you realize how much you miss it, and what you’d be giving up if you were really gone for good, and realize how much you don’t WANT to lose it, so hopefully, when you come back, you’ll behave a little better.
- Permban (Permanent Ban). This is the harshest punishment we offer. A permanent ban means you WILL NOT be coming back. You have done something so rude, so obnoxious, so malicious, that we do not want you playing here anymore. We give PLENTY of warnings before we permban (unless you break one of our absolute core rules, such as dropping the F-bomb, spamming other server IP’s, joining on an ALT (Another account), or joining just to be an obnoxious pain with no intent on playing nicely). To put it simply, Permbans suck. Permbans mean we will NEVER get to see you again :C Your buildings and your items will stand still forever — never finished, never used. All your hard work for nothing. We don’t want to give out permbans ever — but we have to, to teach a lesson — the same way your parents would take something away. If you were given a pocket knife, and used it to ruin the desk or the dining table, your parents would take it away until you could prove you could handle it again, right? The same goes here.
Now, you CAN plea and have your permban reduced — IF the right conditions are met.
I myself, cannot tell you what those conditions are, because it’s not up to me to unban you. I’m only a Srmod. Admins are the only ones that can decide if you come back. But just in case you’d like to try, here’s some advice:
- - Don’t suck up. Telling an admin that they’re your favorite isn’t going to help anything. Though they may feel flattered that you like them so much, it’s not going to help your plea.
- - Don’t bargain. Don’t offer to give all of your items/money away in order to come back. If we wanted you to do that, they could have just taken it away, and told you to start over. We DO NOT want that. Nor do we want you to give it to the admins either as a way to buy your way out. They’re admins. They have godmode, and the ability to spawn in items at will. They don’t need anything you have in your chests, or your bank.
- - Don’t beg. Begging will make you sound desperate, and although you probably are desperate to come back, it doesn’t make you sound very grown up. Saying “PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEASE” is going to make you sound like a little kid who doesn’t realize what they did wrong, or why it was a bad thing, you just want something, and you want it as soon as you can get it without thinking about WHY. Take some more time to reflect on what you did, then come back later.
- - Don’t threaten. This is the worst thing you can do. Let me repeat: THIS IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO WHEN YOU PLEA. DO NOT DO IT. Threatening to DDOS the server, or get people to join it to spam us or grief us, or whatever, is not a good tactic at letting you back. In fact, doing this will ruin ANY chance that you could ever come back ever. If you do this, say goodbye to your builds because you will never see them again. Only cowards threaten.
- - Don’t single out a member of staff. It may have been myself, or Chip, or even Thoatt that banned you — but it is up to the ENTIRE team of ADMINS to decide whether or not you come back, not just the person who banned you. If Thoatt bans you, he has to talk with Anna and Luke and Kealper (and any other admins) about whether or not they want you to return. Think of them as the parents of the server — they have to do what’s best for all of us, even if it hurts them to do so. They may have loved your builds and your jokes — but if you caused a huge problem, they may not be able to trust you to let you back.
- - Don’t turn your plea into a joke. We all love jokes and to take things lightly — but a plea is not one of those things. Putting lots of smiling and laughing emoticons in your plea is going to make you look like you don’t take things seriously. A plea is meant for you to acknowledge what you did, apologize for it, and promise that you will never do it again (and then stick to that promise!)
- - Don’t throw someone under the bus. (Ie: Don’t blame somebody else.) Don’t make a plea, and then blame someone else. “I got banned but it was all Player#2’s fault so they should be the one banned NOT ME”. First of all, you’re not taking responsibility for your own actions. The staff can see exactly what you did, and when you did it. If our tools say YOU did something, it was YOU that did it — not anybody else. Blaming them, only shows us that you’re not willing to own up, and don’t deserve to come back.
- - For the love of all things cube-shaped, DON’T LIE. The staff take a great deal of time to review each ban. We look through chat logs, and use our plugins to check what blocks are broken and placed, what was killed, what was spawned, who clicked on what, who took or placed something in a chest or furnace, or whatever. We can see everything (it might just take a little while to figure it out, there’s a lot of information to sift through). We all have to document every single punishment we make, so that the rest of us can check on it and make sure that they’re right, and didn’t make a mistake. If you lie, we can tell. It’s really really really just better, to be completely honest. Apologize, and move on.
- - DON’T TALK IN ALL CAPS. It looks like you’re yelling at us, and yelling shows us that you’re still mad. You’re still upset, and you can’t calm down long enough to talk like a civilized person. If someone were yelling at you in real life, would you want to listen to them yell at you? or would you rather them calm down first? Exactly.
- - Don’t compare what you did, to other punishments. What other people have done, is no concern to you. Just because someone else got banned for a month, and got it lowered to 7 days, doesn’t mean that you will. Your attitude, your actions, and how you handle your apology all matter when reviewing your plea, not what somebody else did. Take responsibility for your own actions.
- - Try your best to spell correctly. I know it might be hard, but try <3 many browsers have built-in spell check that will tell you if something in spelled wrong with a little red squiggle, so all you have to do is right-click the word and pick the right one. Don’t forget words that sound the same but are spelled differently (like to and too, here and hear, their they’re and there). Typing up your plea in the heat of the moment, in the middle of a rage-induced tantrum, or through blind tears might seem like a good idea at the time, but it’s really much better to cool off first, and then try. You’ll sound much more grown-up, and less like a whiny kid who just wants their toy back.
In the end, you need to take responsibility for what you did. Own up to it, and then apologize for it. Be sincere about it. Show us that you want to come back, but don’t beg. Talk in little letters, not caps. Use emoticons sparingly, and before you post it, read it over a few times. Fix any mistakes you see and try to spell things correctly. Act like you’re going to hand in a test to your teacher, because it’s basically what you’re doing. Then hope for the best.
Don’t forget, we love you guys. We’re called FAMcraft for a reason! We’re all one huge family, and none of us want to see people leave for ANY reason. We only want what’s best for everybody. <333